Serendipity

The laws of chance, strange as it seems,
Take us exactly where we most likely need to be
[David Byrne]

sexta-feira, 12 de novembro de 2004

Eu não estou estragada

É só uma pequena avaria já em reparação.

Deanie is soaking and sweating in a bathtub full of steaming hot water - attempting to relax and purge herself of poisons and anxiety. She rocks her head left and right (with her eyes shut) as she sighs feebly and tells her mother that she feels better. But the tension visibly mounts when she is quizzed by her mother about Bud.

Mrs. Loomis: What's been the matter the past few days?
Deanie: I'm sorry I've troubled you. I don't want to worry you. I don't want to worry anyone.
Mrs. Loomis: Is it all on account of...because of Bud? Because he doesn't call for you anymore?
Deanie: I don't know. I don't know, Mom.
Mrs. Loomis: I have a mind to call that boy and tell him....
Deanie: (sitting up furiously and screaming) Don't you dare! Don't you dare, Mom! (she covers her face with both hands and lies back down into the tub - and then tries asserts herself, with her right hand covering her mouth.) Don't you dare! Don't you dare!...No, Mom! Momma, if you do something like that, I'll do something desperate! I will, I will, Mom! I will!
Mrs. Loomis: (standing over her) Deanie, how serious had you and Bud become? I mean, well, you know what I mean. Deanie - had he - had anything serious happened? Did he - did he spoil you?
Deanie: (raging and laughing hysterically and uncontrollably) Spoil??? Did he spoil me? (she turns and submerges her head under the steaming water. She flails around and then sits up again.) No. No, Mom! (hatefully) I'm not spoiled! I'm not spoiled, Mom! I'm just as fresh and I'm virginal like the day I was born, Mom!
Mrs. Loomis: Stop it! Stop it!
Deanie: I'm a lovely virginal creature who wouldn't think of being spoiled! (she stands up in the tub and steps out with her arms outstretched.) I've been a good little girl, Mom! I've been a good little, good little, good little girl! I've always done everything Daddy and Mommy tell me. I've obeyed every word. I hate you, I hate you, I HATE YOU!